Friday, November 18, 2011

My Hero



After getting Short, my middle schooler, out the door and on the bus at a ridiculous 6:45am, about one two three of five school days per week, I go back to bed.  Today was one of those days.

Then, when Mister got back up at 8:00 to wake Shorter for school, I not only didn't get up too, but I fell back to sleep. Darn cat keeps my feet too warm and snuggly.

At 8:35, Shorter calls from my bedroom doorway, "Bye mom! Have a good day."

My heart melts.

"Bye Baby! You have a good day too!" I call back.

That boy never leaves for school without saying goodbye to me. Ever. And he always wishes me a good day.

When he comes through the door in the afternoon, I ask, "How was you're day?" His reply is ALWAYS, "Awesome!"

I just went to the first round of parent teacher conferences for the fourth grade, and consistently his teachers raved at how he's such a kind, happy, loving child. "And he's always in such a good mood," they said.

And at night, when I go tuck him in, he ALWAYS has a good squeeze and a kiss waiting for me.

He has his tantrums. He cops an attitude. He can be very disagreeable and resistant to EVERYTHING sometimes. He is, after all, nine years old.

But I stand back, and look at this kid and think, "Wow! How on Earth did we manage to do that?"

This kid is truly somethin'.

2 comments:

  1. He's pretty cute.

    Funny, you copied me on super hero kids images. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Copy Shmopy... That was really weird.

    ReplyDelete