Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

I woke up Christmas eve with an awful headache.  I had planned on baking several dozen cookies and making homemade egg nog, but there I laid, in bed, not wanting to get up.


I managed to will myself from my warm haven, and ventured out to the kitchen for a cup of coffee as Mister headed out the door to go to Lowes to get some orange paint for the finishing touches on Shorter's gift.

I took three Advil, knowing this was one of my special headaches which holds the power of ruining my day.  As soon as my coffee was gone, I got dressed and made my way to the kitchen to bake.

So unimpressed.

Shake it offGet with the program!!  It's Christmas eve!!!

Christmas music... on.  Kitchen... clean.  Baking goods... out.  Here we go!

That was around 10am.  By 1pm.... my head was pounding SO bad, I just wanted to cry.  Mister was home by then, doing his thing... painting Shorter's gift.  I asked him if he could PLEASE give me a moment and rub my shoulders.

He's Superman, so of course he can.  He pressed on some knots in my shoulders for about five minutes, and by the time he was done, I could literally feel my headache fading.

Back to baking, with a little more spring in my step, singin' along to the carols.

About an hour later, I asked him to do it again.  He pressed on those same knots for another five minutes.  About ten minutes afterward, I realized my headache was completely gone.

~*~

I ended up with three dozen chocolate chip cookies... three dozen peanut butter chip cookies... three dozen chocolate/peanut butter chip cookies... four dozen sugar cookies, rolled out, and cut into shapes... and one pound of peanut butter fudge.

I also made homemade buttercream frosting for the sugar cookies.  We all sat around the table, and frosted them with the end of Home Alone playing in the background.

I'm headed out to whip up three batches of egg nog after I post this :)
I love that they love my egg nog.  It'll be the first thing Tall asks for when he comes through the door ♥

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

After all our cookies were frosted, and supper was over, we took a ride, and looked at Christmas lights.

I love these!



We saw a modest one like the above, here in town.
Then we saw one that was a little more like this...



But any way they go, big or small... I LOVE it!!

 ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Mister and I did a lot of laughing the days he took off work when we went shopping, and when he went to the dentist.  We do a lot of that normally, anyway.

We each find the other endlessly amusing, and we spend a good part of our lives sharing inside jokes, and giggling.

It's a beautiful thing we got goin' on.

He made a bad joke on one of those days, and of course I laughed, and I told him... You better not ever leave me, because no one else will EVER understand you the way I do.

He replied... I'm completely sure that until I met you, no one ever did.

~*~

Tonight I realized that we are no longer a couple with inside jokes and secret humor. 

We are now a community.

I think I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment