Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mom's Wild World of Science

I am SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!

I can barely contain myself.

First I will tell you that Short shocked his teacher speechless when she called today.  She calls about every other week to check in and make sure everything is moving along smoothly.

She asked him if he'd decided what experiment he was doing for his big science project, and he told her that he hadn't been able to figure anything out yet.  So in an effort to help him trouble-shoot the problem, she asked him if anything interesting was going on in his life right now, or if there was anything he was interested in learning more about.

He told her that his mother has recently taken a shine to fermenting veggies and beverages.  I don't know why she was so surprised.  She took it very well when he told her about the baby-chickies.  Her surprise and confusion faded a little when he threw out the word saurkraut though.  Ahh yes, something to relate to.

So anyway, she suggested that he base his experiment on fermenting veggies, and that really got our wheels turning.  We're doin' it!  We're going to set quart jars. three quarters full of carrots and cauliflower to ferment on the counter to see which is ready first.  We'll also record regular taste testing.  We're totally psyched!

~*~

Aside from the jars I'm doing with Short for school, I'm also preparing beets, dill carrots, cucumber w/garlic cloves and dill, zucchini, and more cabbage.

I'm also going to be making a Ginger Bug with a little sugar and some fresh ginger root which will very soon turn into homemade Ginger Ale!

~*~

The number one thing I love about fermenting veggies... Everything I listed above sure sounds like a lot, but all I have to do is wash it all and put it in jars, and cover it with a salt water I've mixed to MY taste... Set it and forget it. Heh.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I was in Walmart (go figure) and saw a guy that looked like someone had tattooed a black doily on his entire face and neck.

I'm in complete support of self expression.  Always.

Even when I don't understand why someone would want to have a doily on their face...

No comments:

Post a Comment