Thursday, July 24, 2014

How to Fix a Stinky Washing Machine

Does your washing machine get a funky odor in it?  Mine does.  And I mean FUN-KAY!

We have a hard, mineral rich well water.  I tried running empty loads full of soap and water.... or soap, water, and vinegar.  This seemed to help some, but not for more than a few days. 

I never tried bleach because we don't use bleach.  Ever.  For anything.  I don't even have any in my house, and haven't for many years.

Mister suggested being sure to always leave the lid open so it's getting air circulation inside.  This too seemed to help some, but still not enough for my liking.

Then about a week ago, right out of nowhere Mister says to me, "Well, you realize that the washing machine is never completely empty of water, don't you?  I mean, the water drains, but there's always a quarter inch, give or take, left sitting in the bottom of the drum."

EUREKA!!!!!!

And then I knew how to fix the smell.....

I ALWAYS have white vinegar on hand in my kitchen, and laundry room.  I add an old laundry detergent cap full of white vinegar to every load of laundry.  It de-funks and softens the clothes.

What if, instead of adding the cup of vinegar to the wash load, I added it to the empty washing machine AFTER a load.  It would still be part of the next wash cycle, but in the meantime, it would stop the water in the bottom of the machine from becoming stagnant and/or growing bacteria AKA becoming funky.

I wash one load per day, 4 or 5 days out of 7.... so there ARE days where the machine isn't used, and THAT is when it gets funkiest.

I've been throwing the vinegar in AFTER each load for just over a week now, and I've got to say..... my washing machine has never smelled cleaner or fresher. 

Seriously.  Try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment