Sunday, July 20, 2014

Peace Without is Peace Within

I am a minimalist by nature.  I don't care much for nicknacks or decorative things. This makes living in a decluttered world much easier.

I prefer shelves of family pictures.



I DO have a weakness for animals. *shrug- My family indulges me.



I have this one wall in my living room.....




My mother painted the slates, and etched the mirror. And the mirror was my great grandmother's. Gram. The most positive force in my life whom I've been missing since December 1, 1997.

The above pictures hold the things I hold most dearly.  Other than these things, I am mostly perfectly happy to let go of things.  I don't hold on to things for sentimental reasons. 

I used to. 

But when Gram died, no amount of her things made me feel less like there was a hole in me.  I could hold her things all day long, but they never filled the emptiness left behind.

And honestly, that's when I learned.  Things are just things, and by themselves, they have no value.  The only value anything in your life will ever have is the value that you assign to it in your mind.

I prefer a life with useful, practical things.

If it doesn't serve a purpose, it goes away.  There are occasional exceptions to that rule, obviously, but for the most part, this rule keeps me happy.

And a purpose doesn't just mean that it is used in one way or another.  Making me SMILE is a purpose.  Making me feel good..... looking nice..... being awesome.... all these things are a purpose to serve.

There really is something to be said for surrounding yourself with things that make you feel good, and discarding the rest. 

Your home is your island.  Shouldn't it feel like a relief to come home to it?



No comments:

Post a Comment