Sunday, August 24, 2014

Prepper?

Got a salad spinner. My initial impression of it?
"Oh my goodness! Where have you BEEN all my life?!?!?!"


~*~ ~*~ ~*~



August 23, 2011 - That was the day I woke up.

That was the day of the 5.8 earthquake that rocked Virginia and was felt over 12 states and several provinces in Canada.

Read more about it here.
The earthquake, along with a magnitude–5.8 quake on the New York–Ontario border during 1944, is the largest to have occurred in the U.S. east of the Rocky Mountains since an earthquake centered in Giles County in western Virginia occurred during 1897,[3] with an estimated magnitude of 5.8.[4]
The quake was felt across more than a dozen U.S. states and in several Canadian provinces, and was felt by more people than any other quake in U.S. history.[5] No deaths and only minor injuries were reported. Minor damage to buildings was widespread and was estimated by one risk-modeling company at $200 million to $300 million, of which about $100 million was insured.

I had begun to watch earthquakes after the HUGE 9 pointer in Japan on March 11, 2011.By the time we had one of our own, I'd already been dappling in quakes and other natural disasters, so I took it very seriously.

The point is... that quake could've been worse, and just might BE at some point in the future, and in the event of that happening, we could be without food, water, supplies, etc for who knows how long.

Back in 2008 the NE USA had a record breaking storm that dumped over 3 feet of snow in my front yard after freezing everything solid in what was the worst ice storm most people have ever seen. We had no power, water, bathroom, etc for FIVE DAYS!

We were SO painfully unprepared for such a calamity.

I won't be unprepared ever again.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

I'm not a "prepper" in the way that most people think of when they hear that word. I don't have a cellar full of horded or canned food. I don't have 100 guns of varying ferocity, and countless boxes of ammunition.

I believe that what we need will come to us when we need it. I'm a believer in "thoughts become things" and so preparing for the worst, in my mind, brings the worst to you.

However!!!!

I also believe that people have become FAR too dependent on a faulty system. People are far too content to pop their frozen dinner into their microwave, and call it a meal because of the simple convenience of it.

This is not how we live. We are an old school family.

Mom (that's me!) still cooks meals of organic food (or as our ancestors called it.... Food), from scratch, every day. I, personally, embrace a mostly grain free, low carb way of eating, and so my family also embraces it because she who cooks the food gets to dictate what you eat.

I grow a garden.

I'm learning to can my homegrown produce.

I know for SURE that if the shit hits the fan, one of the first things we will do is set out live traps in the backyard and collect as many rabbits as we can. We have tons. We will eat them, and breed them.

We'll also start breeding our chickens.

We have 3 dogs, and while they're not the end all of security systems, they will deter, and that's what I like about them. Although... I was attacked by a dog once, a few years ago, and my Australian shepherd / pit bull mix tore the crap outta that mutt. That dog had holes in its face. I felt bad about the whole ordeal, but my dog was leashed, and that dog was loose, and attacked us, so Abby did what she felt was necessary.

But I digress....

I don't want convenience. I don't want artificial colors, and "natural" flavors. I don't want preservatives.

I don't want to live a life of modern convenience.

On a side note.... I acknowledge the irony of that statement being that it's typed out on a laptop into a blog on the internet.  But, that's not what I really mean.

I mean..... a frozen box of faux food, with an ingredient list 3 miles long, is not now, nor has it ever been, FOOD. I won't call it food, and I won't eat it.  Hell, a portion of those ingredients are industrial solvents and PLASTIC! Yeah! PLASTIC! YUM!

We don't eat that shit. It's not even shit, because honestly, I'd rather eat shit.

I mean, not to be an ass.... but even in a shit hits the fan situation, where you think that you'd eat anything edible..... I would be very unlikely to eat that crap.  It's full of garbage that's been scientifically proven to basically kill you slowly.

And if the shit hits the fan, my number one concern is to LIVE, not to just die slightly slower.

So I don't do coupons. I don't do sales. These are meaningless things to me.

What I DO... is... farmer's markets, and local farms/butchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment